Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Powder Solvent




Ok....so it's been a while since I last posted anything. I thought it might be good to post some useful, I mean truly useful information on here, as opposed to just my opinion on one topic or another. So, with it being hunting season and so forth, I thought it would be good, for the hunters out there in cyber land, to post a recipe for powder solvent. I have only used this for muzzleloaders that shot either Pyrodex or just plain black powder, and mostly Pyrodex. It works extremely well for me and I thought it would be nice to pass it along. Quite simply it is 3 parts of common liquids that most homes have on the shelf. It is as follows:

1 part isopropyl alcohol (clear)
1 part hydrogen peroxide
1 part Murphy's oil soap

The nice thing about it is you can make as much or as little as you like. I never rinse it. I just come back over whatever part of the gun I've used it on with either Bore Butter or gun oil. I use it until the barrel swabs get clean. It saves for years, literally. I usually make about a liter at a time.

I gotta give credit to my cousin Karry Poovey who remembered this recipe. He tells me that Howard Cline had told him about it years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Poovey, I'll pass this along to my sons because they use black powder guns a lot. You guys are keeping with that pioneer spirit.....Thanks a million for the info. I'll share it with them.

    ReplyDelete